December 1, 2007

#16 what's in a wiki?

So I can admit in the past i have used the Wikipedia with no real knowledge of what it was. I knew it was an encylcopaedia of sorts but that was all i really knew.
The definition has sort of explained a bit more to me - but the Librarian in me really does worry about the quality of information or reliability.
However, i can understand other colleague's thoughts on how our library service could use this idea to benefit staff with the nitty gritty policy guides and handbooks. I know many of our staff members will look for basic info on wikipedia and then check other sources to verify.
Well i've had a bit of a look and am quite suprised as to what is on the site.
Current events and even a list of events that have happened "on this day". I like the "random article" I have always enjoyed flicking through encyclopedias so this is a very easy way of learning new things with the touch of a button.
I am ashamed to say it but I do believe that there is a lot out there i had no idea about and i like to think of myself as someone who enjoys learning and using new things. So much will have to change ... I think i need to really start using all these new things. Having a facebook account and using msn really doesn't cut it anymore! I thought i knew so much!

No comments: